Thursday 3 January 2013

Inspired London





Hello all, I hope you are having a lovely 2013 so far. I have had to go back to work, so it's been a bit of a reality kick for me, but that's what January is all about.

I thought I'd write a post about a book I've recently picked up; Inspired London, A Guide to Handmade in London (12.99, We Make London). It's not something I'd normally get, I usually stick to fiction, but this appealed to me. It's a showcase of 162 designers from all four corners of London. It lists crafters of jewellery and textiles as well as illustrators, artists and more. It's a little treasure trove, I can't stop flicking through and checking out all of the great people and companies.
It's written by Mary McDermott, owner of We Make London, an organisation that promotes British independent designers.


I know that recently, due to the resurgence of popularity in traditional crafts, anyone who can thread a needle or use a glue stick calls themselves a designer, but these are genuinely talented makers.

I love the detailed illustrations of Jilty Drawings, featuring classic British themes.

I also really want one of these intricate silver rings from Natalina's Jewellery...

...and a wooden bird brooch from Anna Wiscombe.


Check the book out here, though don't blame me if you spend all of your Christmas money.

Happy January

No comments:

Post a Comment